June 07, 2010

New Sock Book Syndrome

If you've knit a sock, you've probably experienced the Second Sock Syndrome (SSS). Basically, you're tired of the pattern and want to knit something new, not the same sock all over again. I've discovered a new sock related syndrome, the New Sock Book Syndrome (NSBS).

It can be related to SSS, but it can also appear on it's own. I'm unfortunately suffering from both right now. Symptoms include wild sock plans, buying ridiculous amounts of sock yarn and generally, not being able to think about anything else except socks. Even though it's June.

What caused this? I finished my new Monkey sock. I wound the yarn into a little ball. I did not feel like starting the second sock.

socks

Αν έχετε πλέξει έστω και μια κάλτσα, είναι πολύ πιθανό να έχετε πάθει το Σύνδρομο Δεύτερης Κάλτσας. Βασικά, σημαίνει ότι βαρεθήκατε το σχέδιο και θέλετε να πλέξετε κάτι καινούριο, όχι πάλι την ίδια κάλτσα ξανά από την αρχή. Ανακάλυψα ένα καινούριο σύνδρομο σχετικό με τις κάλτσες, το Σύνδρομο Καινούριου Βιβλίου για Κάλτσες.

Μπορεί να συνδυαστεί με το Σύνδρομο Δεύτερης Κάλτσας αλλά μπορεί να εμφανιστεί και μόνο του. Δυστυχώς, πάσχω και από τα δύο. Συμπτώματα: κάνω τρελά σχέδια για κάλτσες, αγοράζω ποσότητες από νήματα για κάλτσες και γενικά, δεν μπορώ να σκεφτώ τίποτα άλλο εκτός από κάλτσες. Και είναι Ιούνιος.

Τι το προκαλεί; Τελείωσα μια κάλτσα. Έκανα το νήμα μπαλίτσα. Και δεν θέλω να ξεκινήσω τη δεύτερη.

yarn

Instead, I started reading a new book I got, Sock Innovation by Cookie A. This book is amazing. I had seen the beautiful patterns on Ravelry, which is why I got it. What I didn't know is that the patterns are only half the book. The other half is everything a sock knitter needs to know; heels, toes and creating your own socks. This book really is a treasure.

I also really want to knit with the new Wollmeise yarn I got.


Αντίθετα, άρχισα να διαβάζω ένα καινούριο βιβλίο που πήρα, το Sock Innovation της Cookie A. Είναι φανταστικό βιβλίο. Είχα δει τα υπέροχα σχέδια που έχει στο Ravelry και αυτός ήταν ο λόγος που το πήρα. Αυτό που δεν ήξερα είναι ότι τα σχέδια είναι μόνο το μισό βιβλίο. Το άλλο μισό περιέχει όλες τις πληροφορίες που μπορεί να χρειαστεί κάποιος που πλέκει κάλτσες. Φτέρνες, δάχτυλα, συμβουλές για να σχεδιάσεις τις δικές σου κάλτσες. Το βιβλίο είναι πραγματικά θησαυρός.

Θέλω επίσης να πλέξω με τα καινούρια νήματα Wollmeise που πήρα.

yarn

So what have I been doing? Trying to stop thinking about socks. Trying to not cast on every single pattern in the book. Working on my Sweet Jazz shawl. I've started the edging.

I'm really trying to be a good knitter :)

sweet jazz shawl

Οπότε τι κάνω; Προσπαθώ να μη σκέφτομαι τις κάλτσες. Προσπαθώ να μην ξεκινήσω αμέσως όλα τα σχέδια από το βιβλίο. Πλέκω την εσάρπα μου. Ξεκινήσα τη δαντέλα στην άκρη.

Προσπαθώ πραγματικά να είμαι καλή πλέκτρια!

10 comments:

  1. Another great sock from you! :)

    I'm actually floudering with my latest sock. It might be time for a sock break....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Σε όλες μας συμβαίνει αυτό κατα καιρούς!! Που θα πάει θα έρθει η ώρα και για τη δευτερη καλτσούλα!! Καλό σου απόγευμα!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that book! I'm not a sock knitter (yet) but I had to buy it, just so I have it for 'some day'... : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. It is so hard to behave. The sock is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Ive never knit a sock. Can you believe that? When you have a chance, check out my latest post (6/7). There's something there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got that book too! I have made 1 Wanida sock so far, but you're right, there are so many pretty patterns in the book, I want to start on another sock instead of finishing the pair!
    That wollmeise is beautiful and it's exactly the color I want for the Kai Mei socks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on your new blog award!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks look great! But I must say that the yarn looks a *lot* like the yarn that I used for my Glynis socks, see: http://rainbowandhermagicdyes.blogspot.com/2009/06/glynis-finally.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI. I got the book too- and it will be my summer inspiration-BUT BUT BUT!!!!! The book is filled with errors!!!Alot of them so Go online and brows Errors sock innovation- and you´ll be abel to print all the errors. Good luck with the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always cast on the second sock straight away and knit a few rows- then it´s not that hard to get going- If i wait- it can be a while.What do you think of the monkey sock? Have you tried Pomatomus? That one is fun to knit- and easy.

    ReplyDelete