September 14, 2011

29

It was my birthday on Saturday and it was a lovely birthday! We went out for a coffee and some shopping and my boyfriend cooked a delicious lunch. He made lasagna, which he had never made before and it was amazing. He keeps saying that he doesn't know how to cook, but he most certainly does! On Sunday we went to the beach, had lunch at a restaurant with the most amazing view and at night we went for a walk by the beach. There was a full moon and it was very romantic! We had an amazing weekend and I'm so happy!

So, I'm 29 now and I love it. I remember a time when I thought that getting close to 30 meant that I would be one of those old grown-ups. Now, I feel good about where I am and what I've learned so far. September always feels like the beginning of the new year for me; my birthday, schools starting again and the cooler weather (still waiting for that here!) always made me feel like doing things and starting new things. I've been thinking about maybe learning a new language or taking some lessons in an attempt to remember an old one that I'm forgetting - oh German vocabulary, why do you have to be so hard?

Platamonas

New things usually means new projects as well. However, I'm very excited about finishing up projects before I start anything new. My Featherweight cardigan looks like a cardigan without sleeves and I have some socks that are close enough to being finished that they're worth the effort. I've made some more hexagons and I still love the pattern. Also, I'm running out of needles so aren't many new things that I can do right now. I finished my Damson shawl recently, but I haven't blocked it yet. And I have another shawl pattern that I want to write. And a sock pattern. And I really feel good about working on these projects.

The only new thing I'm going to start is a vest for my mother. She requested it months ago and I finally have all the yarn I need. It's going to be a Persian Poppies vest, a lovely pattern by Kaffe Fassett. I'm going to start it in a few days and it will be my main project until it's finished.

Platamonas

At the beginning of the year I wrote about starting a yarn diet. I haven't posted an update on that in a while because it hasn't been going very well. There are still over three months left in the year and I've decided that instead of focusing on using up yatn, I would like to finish as many old projects as I can. According to Ravelry, I now have 43 wips. A couple will probably be frogged, they're old projects that did not work out, but most of them are lovely and they deserve better. I also have seven single socks and three single gloves. I'm going to try to be a better knitter!

Also, I'm going to try to stop knitting shawls for a while. This year I've knit seven shawls and one scarf. All for me. I think it's time to start working on some cardigans too!

Platamonas

Είχα γενέθλια το Σάββατο και ήταν υπέροχα! Πήγαμε στην αγορά και για καφέ και μετά ο φίλος μου μαγείρεψε. Έφτιαξε lasagna και ήταν φανταστικά! Και δεν είχε ξαναφτιάξει ποτέ! Όλο λέει ότι δεν ξέρει να μαγειρεύει, αλλά ξέρει πολύ καλά. Την Κυριακή πήγαμε για μπάνιο και μετά για φαγητό σε ένα εστιατόριο με απίστευτη θέα. Το βράδυ πήγαμε βόλτα στην παραλία, ήταν τόσο ρομαντικά με την πανσέληνο. Περάσαμε τέλεια το σαββατοκύριακο και είμαι πολύ χαρούμενη!

Οπότε τώρα είμαι 29 και μου αρέσει! Θυμάμαι μια εποχή που νόμιζα ότι όταν πλησιάσω τα τριάντα θα ήμουν υπερβολικά μεγάλη. Τώρα μου αρέσει πολύ και χαίρομαι με όσα έχω μάθει μέχρι τώρα. Ο Σεπτέμβριος πάντα μου φαινόταν σαν η αρχή του χρόνου, με τα γενέθλιά μου, την καινούρια σχολική χρονιά και τον λίγο πιο δροσερό καιρό, αν και αυτό ακόμα το περιμένουμε. Πάντα ήθελα να κάνω καινούρια πράγματα τέτοια εποχή. Σκεφτόμουν ίσως να ξεκινήσω μια καινούρια ξένη γλώσσα ή να κάνω μερικά μαθήματα μήπως και θυμηθώ μια παλιά που ξεχνάω - αχ γερμανικό λεξιλόγιο, γιατί είσαι τόσο δύσκολο;!

Platamonas

Καινούρια πράγματα σημαίνει συνήθως και καινούρια πλεκτά. Όμως, είμαι πολύ ενθουσιασμένη με την ιδέα να τελειώσω παλιά πλεκτά πριν ξεκινήσω κάτι καινούριο. Το ζακετάκι μου μοιάζει πλέον με ζακετάκι χωρίς μανίκια και έχω κάλτσες που είναι αρκετά κοντά στο να τελειώσουν που νιώθω ότι αξίζουν τον κόπο. Έχω φτιάξει μερικά εξάγωνα και μου αρέσει ακόμα το σχέδιο. Επίσης, μου τελειώνουν οι βελόνες, οπότε δεν μπορώ να ξεκινήσω και πολλά καινούρια πράγματα, ακόμα και αν το ήθελα. Τέλειωσα και ένα σάλι, αλλά δεν το έχω πλύνει ακόμα. Και θέλω να γράψω και ένα ακόμα σχέδιο για σάλι. Και ένα για κάλτσες. Και μου αρέσουν πολύ όλα αυτά τα πλεκτά και θέλω να ασχοληθώ μαζί τους.

Το μόνο καινούριο πλεκτό που θα ξεκινήσω είναι ένα για τη μητέρα μου. Μου το ζήτησε πριν αρκετούς μήνες και έχω επιτέλους όλα τα νήματα που θέλω. Το σχέδιο είναι το Persian Poppies του Kaffe Fassett και είναι πολύ όμορφο. Θα το ξεκινήσω σε λίγες μέρες και θα είναι το βασικό μου πλεκτό μέχρι να το τελειώσω.

Στην αρχή της χρονιάς είχα γράψει για τη δίαιτα νήματος που ήθελα να κάνω. Έχω καιρό να σας πω σχετικά με αυτό, ο λόγος είναι ότι δεν προχωράει πολύ καλά. Ο χρόνος όμως έχει πάνω από 3,5 μήνες και αποφάσισα ότι θέλω να προσπαθήσω να τελειώσω όσο περισσότερα παλιά πλεκτά γίνεται. Σύμφωνα με το Ravelry, έχω τώρα 43 πλεκτά στις βελόνες. Κάποια θα τα ξηλώσω, είναι παλιά και έχουν προβλήματα, αλλά τα περισσότερα είναι υπέροχα και τους αξίζει κάτι καλύτερο. Έχω επίσης 7 μονές κάλτσες και 3 μονά γάντια. Θα προσπαθήσω πραγματικά να γίνω καλύτερη πλέκτρια!

Επίσης, θα προσπαθήσω να μην πλέξω άλλο σάλι. Φέτος έχω πλέξει εφτά και ένα κασκόλ και είναι όλα για μένα. Νομίζω ότι ήρθε η ώρα να πλέξω και μερικά ζακετάκια!

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Sounds like you had a wonderful day :)

    I really need to stop knitting shawls too. At least for a little while. It's tricky though - there are so many lovely ones out there and they're such a good use for single skeins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I'm 29 as well, and getting closer and closer to the next one…

    You're knitting all the same things as me! I'm most of the way through a Featherweight, 7 hexipuffs into the Beekeeper's Quilt and have the pattern and yarn for Damson all ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday. You must have had a brilliant time. It does seem like the start of a new year in September when all of the schools start again.

    I think it is an excellent idea to finish of wips. I have loads hanging about too and always feel guilty when I start something else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated hau 'oli la hanau to you. Glad you had a wonderful birthday over the pond.
    What a fun vest that looks like to knit up. A sweet gift for your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! I'm turning 29 this year as well, and I have to say I'm not feeling as relaxed about it as you are ;) I like 28, if only it would stay for a while longer :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! I always feel like September is the start of the year, too. It's my birthday, anniversary, the start of school...and fall knitting!

    I still have another shawl design in my head, so I can't give up the shawl knitting yet. But first, these vests for wee toddlers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 29 Years! What a great way to celebrate. Sometimes having so many WIP's gets a little overwhelming. It always feels good to get some of them done before the sweater knitting season starts. The vest pattern that you are knitting for your mom is a beauty. Can't wait to see the colors that you will be using for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy happy (belated) birthday, Alexandra! It sounds like you had a beautiful day with D. Enjoy the warm days of fall for me! It's already cooling off here, and I'm not ready for it!

    Philakia Polla polla!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey happy birthday!
    It sounds like you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete